The BSGM is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
For the purpose of the General Data Protection Regulation, the data controller is The British Society for Genetic Medicine.
Information we may collect from you
We may collect, keep a record of and process the following data about you:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on our site www.bsgm.org.uk and the websites of the constituent groups (“our site”). This includes information provided when you complete our on-line and enquiry forms.
- Details of your visits to our site including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data, and the resources that you access.
- We use Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting to learn about our website visitors. All data are anonymised and we do not match them to usernames, email addresses or other personally identifying information. Visitors can opt-out of Google Analytics tracking by installing the Google Analytics opt-out browser add-on.
- We may collect information about your computer, including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration. This is statistical data about our users' browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual.
Legal basis for processing personal information
The legal basis for collecting and processing your data is our legitimate interest in operating our site, providing you with access to the pages you wish to access, and understanding the interests of visitors to our site.
Uses made of the information
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- To ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
- To provide you with information, products or services that you request from us
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
- if we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation.
Our site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of third parties. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
Security and Retention
We will retain your data for as long as is permitted in light of the purposes for which it was collected. Where we no longer require your data for the purposes for which it was obtained we will retain it for a period of time which reasonably allows us to comply with our legal and regulatory obligations or if retention is advisable in light of our legal position.
How cookies are used on this site
We want to make the services we provide, easy, useful and reliable. Where services are delivered on the internet, this sometimes involves placing a small amount of information on your device, for example your computer or mobile phone. These include small files known as "cookies".
These pieces of information are used to improve services for you through, for example:
- Recognising that you may already have provided a username and password so that you don't need to keep entering these into every web page when requested
- Measuring how many people are using our services so they can be improved